Regression in 1.1.1 against 1.1.0 in SSL_CTX_new

Harald Koch root at c-works.net
Thu Apr 16 14:38:52 UTC 2020

Hi Matt,

> Am 16.04.2020 um 16:29 schrieb Matt Caswell <matt at openssl.org>:
> On 16/04/2020 14:42, Harald Koch wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have a TLS server which is started on demand in a multithreaded (pthread) application. The TLS server is one thread which is being started and stopped. At first start, the TLS server initialized with SSL_CTX_new with TLS_server_method works as expected, after cleaning up, eliminating the thread and starting it again at a later time in the same process, SSL_CTX_new returns NULL. I’ve been digging deeper into the initialization code, and found out that in crypto/threads_pthread.c, function
> What does your clean up code look like? Are you taking specific steps to
> cleanup OpenSSL and if so what are they?

I’m checking if my actually used SSL and CTX are up, and if so, cleanup them before thread killing:

    if(ssl != NULL) { // assigned by SSL_new before
        SSL_free(ssl);
        ssl = NULL;
    }
    /* Free the SSL_CTX structure */
    if(ctx != NULL) { // assigned by SSL_CTX_new before
        SSL_CTX_free(ctx);
        ctx = NULL;
    }

No other openSSL specific cleanup functions are called. The functions documented in https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Library_Initialization#Cleanup <https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Library_Initialization#Cleanup> are not called.