building a PIC enabled version of openssl 1.0.2k on Sparc 10

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Thu Apr 16 17:16:04 UTC 2020

I believe you do, though our use case is different - we build OpenSSL as a PIC archive library, which we then linked into a shared object. If you're building OpenSSL as a shared object (well, a pair of shared objects, for libcrypto and libssl), then you may be able to do that with the appropriate Configure options.

My teams have switched to 1.1.1, so I don't have a 1.0.2 build handy to check.

> I appended it to the end of the  configure  line I  show above  but there
> was no sign of PIC in any of the top level makefiles produced.

For 1.0.2, we edited the Configure file. We kept a log of the purposes of our changes, and looked at the Configure diffs for each new 1.0.2 release so we could port the relevant changes back to our Configure.

We haven't had to do that with 1.1.1; its Configure is more flexible.

--

Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus