TLSv1 on CentOS-8

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:55:55 UTC 2020

Note: This is better asked on the CentOS support forums, since it asks
about changes that CentOS made to OpenSSL.

This is an unsupported configuration, and will be overwritten if you audit
or reinstall the crypto-policies package.  Also, I haven't looked to see
where /etc/crypto-policies/back-ends/opensslcnf.config versus
/etc/crypto-policies/back-ends/openssl.config are used.

Since you're modifying the LEGACY policy (and the files in
/etc/crypto-policies/back-ends/ are all symlinks, and I don't want to give
information that would modify any security level without regard for knowing
what security level is currenty in place): You want to modify the
/usr/share/crypto-policies/LEGACY/openssl.txt file to append ":!RC4" to
it.  You should also modify
/usr/share/crypto-policies/LEGACY/opensslcnf.txt to append ":!RC4" to the
CipherString line, and ":!RC4-SHA" to the Ciphersuites line.

There are additional files in there that refer to other services and crypto
libraries, that you may wish to change as well.  The OpenSSL support lists
don't have any information about them.

-Kyle H