OpenSSL compliance with Linux distributions

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Aug 7 16:33:45 UTC 2020

Suggestion: get the source for the exact same version of openssl your
system uses, and rebuild it with sslv2 disabled.

e.g.

sudo apt install build-essential devscripts
sudo apt build-dep openssl
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
apt source openssl
cd openssl-*
gedit debian/rules     # see below
debuild -b -uc -us
cd ..
sudo apt install *.deb

While editing debian/rules in gedit, change the line

CONFARGS  = --prefix=/usr --openssldir=/usr/lib/ssl
--libdir=lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH) no-idea no-mdc2 no-rc5 no-zlib no-ssl3
enable-unit-test no-ssl3-method enable-rfc3779 enable-cms

to add the no-ssl2 argument, or something like that.  See
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Compilation_and_Installation

But be careful!  You probably want to have the original system .deb files
for its openssl in an origopenssl dir
so you can reinstall them with 'sudo dpkg -i origopenssl/*.deb' when this
breaks.

- Dan