enabling null cipher

vishwas k.n. vishwaskn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 04:32:22 UTC 2020

Hello All,

Could someone please let me know what is the right way to enable
null-ciphers in openssl. I want to do some performance evaluations with
openssl and as a part of the exercise, want to tabulate performance with
null encryption ciphers too.

Want to get this working with openssl s_server to begin with.

I have come across various answers where people have suggested:
1. specify the cipher list using SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list with cipher list
being only eNULL.
2. SSL_CTX_set_security_level with level=0.
Have tried doing this from the client side but to no avail.

On the server side, I have added -cipher "COMPLEMENTOFALL" to s_server to
add the null ciphers.

Is there a config option that needs to be enabled or a code change to go
with ?

thanks,
-vishwas.