Client-Certificate blocking without conrolling the issuing CA

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Fri Dec 4 17:32:15 UTC 2020

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't offhand see a quick workaround for your situation. I'm not sure what would happen if you cross-signed all the client certificates with a CA under your control, and then generated a CRL for the ones you want to exclude. Or actually you could just cross-sign only the ones you want to allow, and made your CA the only trust root for the TLS termination systems; that would work. But I'm guessing modifying every client certificate is not a feasible solution for you either.

If it is, cross-signing with a CA under your control and trusting only that CA is probably the approach I'd go for. That's a legitimate approach under PKIX. It could even be mostly automated, except the end users would have to install updated user certificates, which is probably a deal-breaker.

--
Michael Wojcik