Regarding #def for 'SSL_R_PEER_ERROR_NO_CIPHER' and 'SSL_R_NO_CERTIFICATE_RETURNED' in openssl3.0

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Dec 7 11:39:37 UTC 2020

On 04/12/2020 13:28, Narayana, Sunil Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>                 We are trying to upgrade our application from openssl
> usage of 1.0.2 to openssl 3.0, during which we observe following errors.
>
> Looks like the below #def been removed from 1.1 onwards, Should
> application also need to take off from its usage ? or is there any
> alternative to be used in application ?

1.0.x -> 1.1.x is a breaking change, and so is 1.1.x to 3.0. Return
codes are liable to change in these upgrades.

> error: 'SSL_R_PEER_ERROR_NO_CIPHER' was not declared in this scope

This one was only ever used in the SSLv2 implementation. Since no one
uses SSLv2 any more and it is considered highly insecure its
implementation was removed some while ago. So the reason code was also
deleted.

> error: 'SSL_R_NO_CERTIFICATE_RETURNED' was not declared in this scope

This reason code existed in 1.0.2 but was never used by anything.