DH_compute_key () - replacement in 3.0

Narayana, Sunil Kumar sanarayana at rbbn.com
Mon Dec 14 15:48:34 UTC 2020

Hi ,
While migrating from 1.0.2 to 3.0, we found that DH_compute_key () has be deprecated.
In the current  we are using the compute API as below

    dh->priv_key = BN_bin2bn(privateKey, octet_len, NULL);
    bn_publicKey = BN_bin2bn(publicKey, octet_len, NULL);
    rv = DH_compute_key(sharedSecret, bn_publicKey, dh);

to exactly replace this we are generating "pubparam_key/priparam_key"  using   bn_publicKey/dh->priv_key  as below

OSSL_PARAM_BLD *pubparamsbld = NULL, priparamsbld = NULL;
OSSL_PARAM *pubparams = NULL, priparams = NULL;
EVP_PKEY *pubparam_key = NULL, *priparam_key = NULL;
EVP_PKEY_CTX *pubctx = NULL, *prictx = NULL;

pubparamsbld = OSSL_PARAM_BLD_new()
priparamsbld = OSSL_PARAM_BLD_new()

OSSL_PARAM_BLD_push_BN(pubparamsbld, OSSL_PKEY_PARAM_PUB_KEY, bn_publicKey)
OSSL_PARAM_BLD_push_BN(priparamsbld, OSSL_PKEY_PARAM_PRIV_KEY,bn_privateKey)

//build context
pubctx = EVP_PKEY_CTX_new_from_name(NULL, "DH", NULL);
prictx = EVP_PKEY_CTX_new_from_name(NULL, "DH", NULL);

EVP_PKEY_key_fromdata_init(pubctx)
EVP_PKEY_key_fromdata_init(prictx)

pubparams = OSSL_PARAM_BLD_to_param(pubparamsbld);
EVP_PKEY_fromdata(pubctx, &pubparam_key, pubparams))

priparams = OSSL_PARAM_BLD_to_param(priparamsbld);
EVP_PKEY_fromdata(prictx, &priparam_key, priparams))

>From there, we are planning to use EVP_PKEY_derive_init, EVP_PKEY_derive_set_peer, and EVP_PKEY_derive to get shared secret

Please suggest if any step is invalid or not necessary

Regards,
Sunil

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon Communications Inc. that
is confidential and/or proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, disclosure, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.