QUIC support in OpenSSL 3.0

James M Snell jasnell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 16:34:36 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I'm newly registered to this group. To get the introductions out of the
way, I'm a long time contributor to various open source and open standards
projects, including sitting on the Technical Steering Committee for Node.js.

I understand that Rich Salz recently posted the following note:
https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-users/2020-February/011776.html

Over the past year I've been involved with implementing QUIC protocol
support for Node.js and we are making use of the QUIC APIs proposed in
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/8797 backported to the OpenSSL
1.1.1 version that we use in Node.js.

I read this morning that a decision was apparently made to defer landing
#8797 until after 3.0 and I would like to strongly encourage and request
that the decision be revisited. Our goal in Node.js is to be able to move
to OpenSSL 3.0 as quickly as possible and the QUIC support is a key
motivator for that. We will be unable to bring QUIC out of experimental
status until we have a version of OpenSSL with stable and supported QUIC
support.

As I'm new to this particular list, I am unfamiliar with the process norms
here so please forgive me if there's anything I'm missing something
important, but I at least wanted to voice my support for getting #8797
landed.

Thank you,

James M Snell, jasnell at gmail.com