Problems revoking a cert

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Feb 24 17:36:26 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 12:09 PM Michael Wojcik <
Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I had it backwards. And I was able to find the file, and properly
revoke it, after sending my initial email. I just haven't had time to go
back and tell the list.

> > $ sudo openssl ca -in requests/<client>.req -out
> certs\<client>-2020-02-24.<FQDN>
> >
> > And so I can't find that cert file anywhere (obviously).
>
> That's not obvious at all.

I meant - obviously it's not in the subdirectory I thought it would be in

> Does your CA configuration not have a new_certs_dir? Normally it will
> create a copy of the certificate there, under the serial number.
>
> > I know the serial number of the wrongly issued cert, I had hoped I could
> revoke
> > using just the serial number. But searches tell me I can't do it that
> way.
>
> Well, you *can*, by editing the CA's index.txt file directly. You can
> create and revoke a test certificate to see what the altered line should
> look like. (It will start with "R" instead of "V", and have a revocation
> date. Fields are separated by tabs.)

Interesting. Thanks.