OpenSSL 3.0

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Feb 26 04:00:18 UTC 2020

On 25/02/2020 19:07, Jason Schultz wrote:
> Greetings. It has been several months since this blog post on OpenSSL 3.0:
>
> https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2019/11/07/3.0-update/
>
> “We are now not expecting code completion to occur until the end of Q2
> 2020 with a final release in early Q4 2020.”
>
> Is OpenSSL 3.0 still expected to reach code completion at the end of Q2
> this year? Also, by “final release” I’m assuming that means the first
> official, non-beta/dev release?

Since the publication of the blog post we published a more detailed
timeline. See the list of alpha/beta release about 2/3 the way down this
page:

https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

alpha1, 2020-03-31: Basic functionality plus basic FIPS module
alpha2, 2020-04-21: Complete external provider support (serialization,
support for new algs, support for providers which only include
operations in a class)
alpha3, 2020-05-21: Aiming to test the API completeness before beta1
freezes it)
beta1, 2020-06-02: Code complete (API stable, feature freeze)
betaN: Other beta releases TBD
Final: 2020 early Q4

We are currently still on target for this timeline and are aiming for
alpha1 at the end of March, with a final release in Q4. The final
release does indeed mean the first official non-beta/dev release -
although note that actual validation of the FIPS module may follow
sometime later.