aes_cbc_hmac_sha1 implementation

Phani 2004 phani2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 07:59:01 UTC 2020

Thanks for the quick response Matt.

My command was :
openssl s_client -connect 10.29.20.26 -cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA -tls1_2.
I did not realise that "2" was not copied.

I am trying to implement combined algo support on our engine.
I am using the openssl s_server and s_client apps to validate my
implementation.
The combined algo that i am looking to implement is AES128/256 and SHA1.
Its clear that i should always use tls version less than 1.3 otherwise GCM
ciphers are used.

What cipher suites can i use to validate the above combination of combined
algo?
Which tls versions support which cipher suites?
Should i be doing "encrypt-then-mac" or "mac-then-encrypt" in my
implementation?
Does the cipher suite decide this?
If yes, what are the ciphers which do "encrypt-then-mac" and what ciphers
to "mac-then-encrypt"?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Phani