How to help with getting KTLS patches merged

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 23 22:06:49 UTC 2020

On 6/10/20 3:48 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 6/8/20 4:12 AM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 09:00:08AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
>>> At the moment there are 3 open PRs related to Kernel TLS offload
>>> support that I'm aware of:
>>>
>>> - 11589 adds TLS1.3 for Linux, has one approval from Matt Caswell
>>> - 10626 adds TLS1.3 for FreeBSD, from which 11589 is derived, but will
>>>   need to be rebased on top of 11589 once it is merged
>>> - 11679 adds TLS1.[012] RX offload for FreeBSD, but would conflict
>>>   a bit with 11589
>>>
>>> Matt has already approved 11589, and I think 11589 looks ok from
>>> my vantage point (I'm more familiar with the KTLS infrastructure
>>> in FreeBSD rather than Linux).  Given that 11589 has received the
>>> most review, I think it is probably prudent for it to be merged
>>> first at for me to then rebase the other two PRs on top of that
>>> and resolve conflicts, etc.
>>
>> 11589 has now been merged.
>
> Thanks for all the folks who jumped in to review that!

I have one more request related to KTLS patches.

After 11589 was merged, I reworked the two FreeBSD changes and ended
up merging them into a new PR that includes some refactoring inspired
by 11589 and the original two patches (which are now much smaller).

The new PR is 12111.  One question I have is if a new PR is the
right way to handle this, and if so should I close 10626 and 11679?
I also have some open questions in 12111 about possibly reducing
OS-specific #ifdef's outside of <internal/ktls.h>.

Thanks for any feedback or comments.

--
John Baldwin