The need for 'gdi32.lib'

Dr. Matthias St. Pierre Matthias.St.Pierre at ncp-e.com
Mon Jul 27 12:46:42 UTC 2020

> Grepping through all of my OpenSSL sources, I see only the
> above mention and one in 'Configurations\10-main.conf'.
>
> So how/when is 'gdi32.dll' needed? Maybe it was true in the old-days?

My guess is that you are right and that it was needed only for the function readscreen(), used by RAND_screen() (see [1]).
A quick search shows that this function was removed in pull request #1079 (merged as commit 888db7f224fe) before
the release of 1.1.0, see [2].

Would you mind creating a pull request for changing the NOTES?

Matthias

[1] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/OpenSSL_1_0_2-stable/crypto/rand/rand_win.c#L679-L745
[2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/1079