alternative to deprecated ENGINE_* API for external engines for openssl-3.0.0

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Jul 31 16:11:36 UTC 2020

On 31/07/2020 16:57, Emeric Brun wrote:

> Thanks! A lot to read!
>
> I have few questions:
>
> Do those changes have an impact on the external engine side API, specially for Async engines? The most used engine with my application is the Intel Quick Assist, in async mode.
>
> Does intel have someting to do to be compliant with the new v3.0.0's "provider" model for the intel quick assist engine ?
>
> https://github.com/intel/QAT_Engine

Yes and no!

The entire ENGINE API is deprecated. Existing ENGINE authors should look
to convert their engines to providers instead.

However, although they are deprecated they do still *work*, i.e. the
ENGINE support has not been removed (yet). So if you need to use an
ENGINE in 3.0, then it should be fine - but until such time as the
ENGINE authors update the ENGINE to be a provider you will have to live
with the various deprecation warnings (or suppress them).