How can I tell if a name for a cipher/digest is implemented?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 18 07:39:11 UTC 2020

I think that checking for NULL from EVP_get_ciphername() works in 1.1.1
but that changed for 3.0.0

Is there anything better/cleaner than actually calling EVP_CipherInit() or
such?

I'm curious.  What does it mean to have a non-NULL cipher that doesn't work?
I'm using default Engines and Providers.  Is that something like we have
allocated a slot in the name space but this engine doesn't support it?  Should
there be something like EVP_get_ciphername that takes the engine parameter?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.