freefunc - name clash with Python.h

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Sun Jun 21 14:22:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-15 09:37, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 06:07:20AM +0000, Jordan Brown wrote:
>> Supplying names for the arguments in function prototypes makes them
>> easier to read, but risks namespace problems.
> Yes, which I why, some time back, I argued unsuccessfuly that we SHOULD
> NOT use parameter names in public headers in OpenSSL, but sadly was not
> able to persuade a majority of the team.
>
> If this is ever reconsidered, my views have not changed.  OpenSSL SHOULD
> NOT include parameter names in public headers.
No sane compiler should complain about name clashes between unrelated
namespaces, such as between global type names and formal parameter names
in header function declarations (used exclusively for readable compiler
error messages about incorrect invocations).

Syntactically, the only case where there could be any overlap between
those two namespaces would be if the formal parameter names were not
preceded by type names, as might happen in K&R C.  The warnings leading
to this thread should be treated as a compiler bug, that should be easily
reproduced with short standalone (1 to 3 files) test samples submitted to
the relevant compiler bug tracker.

Enjoy

Jakob