OpenSSL 1.1.1g test failures

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Jun 26 10:55:02 UTC 2020

On 26/06/2020 10:45, David Harris wrote:

> Is this just the way it is? I would have thought that 50% self-test failure would be
> ringing alarm bells everywhere if it were common, so I can only conclude that there's
> something odd about my environment, or that I'm doing something wrong, but this is
> about as vanilla a build process as I can possibly make it.

No - this is not normal output. We would expect the self tests to pass
on Windows (and they do), e.g.

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/openssl/openssl/builds/33676970

> I follow the steps for
> Win32 in INSTALL, and as I said at the start of this message, the nmake process
> goes cleanly, not a single warning or error. The ONLY non-standard thing I do is
> change the /MD switch (link to the DLL versions of the runtime libraries) to /MT
> (static link the runtimes) because I don't want to have external dependencies in my
> production environments (I lived in "DLL Hell" for so long that I'm now quite paranoid
> about that). This change has never caused problems in the past, and doesn't seem
> to be relevant to the problems I'm seeing.

How exactly do you make this change? By editing the Makefile? Have you
tried it without doing this? My guess is that this is exactly the cause
of the problem. AppLink is all about dealing with differences in MS
runtimes.