Error building OpenSSL-1.1.1g

mhkelley2017 at gmail.com mhkelley2017 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 18:09:22 UTC 2020

Thank you very much.  While my problem has already been resolved,
you raise a couple of issues that are worth noting for
completeness.

> > Can someone point me to sources of information about how to
> > resolve this issue?
>
> Probably not, because it's not clear how you got into this state
> in the first place. You have a mix of 32- and 64-bit tools in
> your toolchain for this build. I don't know what you did to get
> there; I've never seen that happen with any of my OpenSSL builds.

*** snip ***

> My suggestion: Follow the recommended process by installing nasm
> (it's free) and configuring for that instead of MASM.

Did that as soon I decided to give up on mingw64 and try Visual
Studio.  Granted, my Y-chromosome does give me some challenges
when it comes to reading/following instructions, but that
requirement was clearly enough stated that I noticed and followed
up on it :)

> As Matt
> suggested, start from a "Visual Studio Command Prompt" window for
> the bitness you want to build, and then make sure you configure
> for that bitness. Get rid of any existing build artifacts first -
> probably the easist way is to move your working directory aside
> and extract a fresh one from the tarball.

Actualy repeated that step several times throughout to ensure I
was always starting clean.

> As Matt noted, you can confirm whether you're using the 32- or
> 64-bit version of the Visual Studio toolchain just by running
> cl.exe with no parameters; the banner says "for x86" or "for
> x64".

What cl.exe responded was what I expected, so didn't report it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\bin\Hostx86\x86\cl.exe

It is still a mystery why/how anything related to 32-bit ever arose in the build process.  But I no longer care because it was apparently self-inflicted and not likely to bother anyone else.

*** snip ***

> Regarding MSYS2 and Perl:
>
> - Did you read the updated NOTES.WIN that Matt posted a link to?

Yes, found them at the beginning of my efforts, but (in case you
know the old joke about magicians), "the rabbit was already in
the hat" by that point.

*** snip ***

> - You haven't told us what Perl implementation you're
>   using.

My initial post:
   Perl: ActivePerl 5.24.3 Build_2404 (64-bit)

>   Knowing the path to it doesn't help us. (Though, to be
>   honest, knowing which implementation it is probably isn't
>   terribly useful either.) It would be nice if Sergio told us
>   which one *he's* using, since it's known to work with the MSYS2
>   configurations.

I think he did tell is - implicitly.  He used whatever he has
installed with his MSYS2 package.  If I'd had the same one
installed with my package, I'd have missed all this fun.

> - I don't know whether there are Perl implementations for Windows
>   specifically intended to be used with MinGW or MSYS2, and if so
>   whether they work for the OpenSSL build. Oh, wait: I just did a
>   quick search, and apparently there is an MSYS2 Perl package
>   available from repo.msys2.org. Does it work with the OpenSSL
>   build? I don't know, but it seems like it's worth a try.

This is actually an important question.  In response to Matt's
suggestion, I went to MSYS2 to see what packages they have.
Their list of packages *did not* include a choice like "the one
we include with our initial installation in case you have somehow
lost it". Instead, they list the two give in one of my more
recent posts.  One listed is explicitly designed for use with
mingw-64.  It fails for OpenSSL the same way as ActivePerl.

Bottom line:  MSYS2 *does* include perl in its basic installation
(at least the most recent version) and it works.  Don't mess that
one up or your in for some fun.

Thanks to all.