certificate verification error OpenSSL 1.1.1

shiva kumar shivakumar2696 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:18:20 UTC 2020

when I tried to verify the the self signed certificate in OpenSSL 1.0.2 it
is giving error 18 and gives OK as o/p, when I tried the same with OpenSSL
1.1.1 there is slight change in the behavior it also gives the same error,
but instead of OK it gives different error as "*ca.crt: verification failed*"
as follows.

*in OpenSSL 1.0.2*

openssl verify ./ca.crt

*error 18* at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate

*OK*

*in OpenSSL 1.1.1 *

openssl verify ./ca.crt

*error 18* at 0 depth lookup:self signed certificate

*error /tmp/1.1/conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt: verification failed*

# echo $?

2

why I'm getting this error? is this an expected behavior in OpenSSL 1.1.1?

Please answer my question.

--
*With Best Regards*
*Shivakumar S*