Config question

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Mar 3 16:01:47 UTC 2020

From: openssl-users [mailto:openssl-users-bounces at openssl.org] On Behalf Of Richard Simard
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 07:57

> Wen I creating my root certificates I would like to add the version of the
> certification authority. I searched but I couldn't find anything. Is there
> anyone among you who could tell me how to add this information in the
> configuration of OpenSSL

What does this "version" look like?

Can you simply make it one of the components of the Subject and Issuer DNs (which must be the same, since this is a root certificate)? Assuming you want to conform to PKIX, RFC 5280 allows the serialNumber attribute (which is not the same as the certificate serial number) in a DN; you could use that.

There's also the old "Netscape Comment" extension. There might be other suitable extensions.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus