Compiling for RISC-V

Kristin Barber barber.m.kristin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:31:29 UTC 2020

Hi Richard,

You're right, in fact, some newer releases of Debian even seem to ship with Configuration files having entries for riscv platforms explicitly!

I've realized that the problems I was seeing were more nuanced than I originally thought.  The RISC-V toolchain actually has two flavors: one that is newlib-based and one that is linux-gnu-based.  I am using the newlib toolchain, its an embedded environment, where in fact I don't expect to have any OS support at all.  The errors I was seeing were the result of some extra flags needed to allow newlib to play nicely with the OpenSSL build, such as nostdlib.  However, of course there are still errors associated with the syscalls that aren't implemented in this case, but I believe that is now the only remaining issue.

This brings me to another point, which may be outside the scope of this thread and please let me know if I should open another one to address this: for constrained environments without an OS, is there a best practice for compiling OpenSSL? I actually don't even need *all* of OpenSSL, just the crypto, even more specifically, the RSA encrypt/decrypt.  For syscall functionality, do folks typically pull them from open-source kernels as an easy way to get up-and-running?  Any kind of insights on this would be great.

Thanks,
Kristin