Question about handshake error

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Wed Mar 11 17:27:43 UTC 2020

On 11/03/2020 17:08, Niki Dinsey wrote:
> As for going back to the software vendor, I absolutely want to but don't
> hold out too much hope they will change anything.
> I'm basically going to say this:
>
> The certificate chain contains two redundant root certificates, these
> should be removed as there is no need to send root certificates and
> because they are signed with SHA1 stricter servers like Debian are
> dropping the connection.

Replace "stricter servers" with "stricter clients".

You might like to point them to my email explaining the issue in more
detail:

https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-users/2020-March/012006.html

> Does that sound about right?
>
> As for the conversation with Viktor, it's all over my head! Can I just
> ignore and get back to work? Thanks again

Yes - ignore it. Viktor is suggesting that the unknown server that is
being used might actually be OpenSSL - in which case we might want to
make a change to our code so that it is more tolerant of this
mis-configuration. It makes no difference to you though.

Matt