Handshake failure: TLSv1.3 early data?

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Mar 23 12:18:46 UTC 2020

On 23/03/2020 12:06, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
>>> My public web servers shows several handshake failures daily
>>> due to 'TLSv1.3 early data', sometimes after a previous
>>> successful TLSv1.3 connection, but not always.
>>
>> Do you have specific error messages?
>
> I seem to only report the state rather than an error once the socket is
> closed, take a few hours to get some more failures with real errors.

The state machine can (briefly) transition through the early data state
even though early data is not being accepted, i.e. its there long enough
to say "nothing to do here". So one explanation is that you're in that
state when you hit the error - even though its nothing to do with early
data itself.