New decode_errors due to EOF changes in master and 1.1.1e

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 24 23:35:34 UTC 2020

I replied to the original commit on GH but haven't seen any responses so
thought I would follow up here as well.

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/10907

After this PR was merged, I am now getting what look like spurious errors
for a "normal" connection end.  For example, if I run 'openssl s_client -msg'
against an 'openssl s_server -www' instance, I now get this error at the
end of the connection:

</pre></BODY></HTML>

>>> ??? [length 0005]
    15 03 03 00 1a
>>> TLS 1.2, Alert [length 0002], fatal decode_error
    02 32
34370928640:error:14095126:SSL routines:ssl3_read_n:unexpected eof while reading:/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ssl/record/rec_layer_s3.c:303:

Note that unlike the description of the commit log, this is not a case of
terminating the connection early via Ctrl-C.  In this case, the remote
end (server) has closed the connection normally after sending the requested
file.  The client then gets EOF when trying to read another SSL record after
reading the last byte of the sent file.

Is this the expected behavior?  It sure gave me a head scratch as I first
noticed this after rebasing a branch adding KTLS RX support for FreeBSD, and I
thought it was a bug in my changes until I finally narrowed it back to this
commit.  It seems a bit odd for a normal close to trigger an error instead of
a clean EOF back from SSL_read().

--
John Baldwin