Certificate subject match validation

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Sat Mar 28 22:29:38 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:56:20PM +0200, George-Theodor Serbana wrote:

> >  > For now I am using X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set1_host with SSL_CTX_set1_param to
> >  > do this specific check.
> >
> >  That's the slightly less convenient legacy API from OpenSSL 1.0.2.
> >  In 1.1.0 and later, you can use SSL_set1_host() (and in some
> >  cases also SSL_add1_host()).
> >
> >  See the SSL_set1_host(3) manpage for details.
>
> Indeed I re-read the docs and it says that users should not assume that
> hostnames are validated by default without explicitly calling the API, I
> must've missed that bit and thank you for letting me know. I will shift
> towards using the newer SSL_set1_host together with some flags (I don't
> want any wildcards).

If your needs are sufficiently narrow to rule out connecting to sites
that use wildcard certificates, perhaps they're also narrow enough to
rule out sites that don't have subjectAltNames, in which case the
flags could be:

So you'll call either of (here a NULL callback, set a non-null callback
if appropriate):

    SSL_CTX_set_verify(ctx, SSL_VERIFY_PEER, NULL);     /* Just once */
    SSL_set_verify(ssl, SSL_VERIFY_PEER, NULL);         /* Per connection */

followed by (per connection):

    SSL_set1_host(ssl, "www.example.org");
    SSL_set_hostflags(ssl, X509_CHECK_FLAG_NO_WILDCARDS
                         | X509_CHECK_FLAG_NEVER_CHECK_SUBJECT);

which also insists on a DNS subject altname (the preferred way to
authenticate DNS names), and never looks at any CN field in the subject
DN.

> Now just to be extra safe I'm still asking: will the VERIFY_PEER option
> together with SSL_set1_host instruct OpenSSL to perform all possible checks
> on the certificate presented by the server such that no security breach
> remains at this level? Is there anything else that I should call or perform
> manually?

No, the above is enough.

--
    Viktor.