liblegacy.a does not work unless compiled with -static

Guido Vranken guidovranken at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:14:39 UTC 2020

When I configure using "./config enable-legacy" it creates
providers/liblegacy.a, then in the program I link with it,
OSSL_PROVIDER_load fails (returns NULL).

When I configure using "./config enable-legacy -static" it works as
expected.

However, building with -static fails on OSS-Fuzz when building with
sanitizers, and I need the .a file instead of the .so file for fuzzing.

So, is it possible to configure using "./config enable-legacy" and have a
working liblegacy.a? Is this a bug?

Thanks