Decrypt error when using openssl 1.1.1b during SSL handshake

Mahendra SP mahendra.sp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:00:33 UTC 2020

Hi Matt,

Error is reported from this:
FILE:../openssl-1.1.1b/ssl/statem/statem_srvr.c, FUNCTION:415, LINE:3055,
reason=147, alert=51

We see that hardware is returning 48 bytes. Even if the decrypted premaster
data is correct, openssl is expecting more than 48 bytes in return.
This check fails as decrypt_len is 48.
decrypt_len < 11 + SSL_MAX_MASTER_KEY_LENGTH

We compared the data returned when software is used. Decrypt_len is 256
bytes and the last 48 bytes are actual premaster secret. Also, openssl
checks for if the first byte is 0 and second byte is 2.
We are trying to rectify this issue in hardware and return the correct data.

Please suggest if you have any comments for the above info.

Thanks
Mahendra