Need inputs for engine cleanup

Mahendra SP mahendra.sp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 15:49:35 UTC 2020

Hi All,

We are using the openssl 1.1.1 version and using the ENGINE implementation
for some crypto operation. Engine gets loaded dynamically and initialized
successfully and we are able to use the engine.
However, we plan to stop using this engine from the application side once
we are done with it. When we try to stop using the engine, our engine
references do not get removed.
We have tried this sequence:
ENGINE_free();
ENGINE_finish();

However, ENGINE_remove() seems to remove the engine correctly and we see
that our engine does not get referred after this remove call.

Can someone please provide a correct way of removing the engine so
that engine is no longer available for usage ?

Thanks
Mahendra