Static vs dynamic engine configuration

Brett Stahlman brettstahlman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:01:28 UTC 2020

Hello,
I noticed that although the docs generally refer to the capi engine as
"builtin", it doesn't appear to be linked statically with openssl, and is
actually being loaded by the dynamic engine mechanism. I believe this is
because the OPENSSL_NO_STATIC_ENGINE flag is being set by Configure. The
only way I see to disable this flag is to pass disable-dynamic-engine to
Configure. Is this the correct way to get the builtin engines linked
statically? Do I understand correctly that dynamic loading of the builtin
engines is now the default?

Thanks,
Brett S.