[EXTERNAL] - Re: Question about TLS 1.3 and openssl -cipher aNULL option

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 17:57:10 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 17:39 +0000, Yury Mazin via openssl-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question based on the response provided to me:
>
> My question is why following openssl commands (version 1.1.1f)
> return those TLSv1.3 ciphers as offering no authentication and no
> encryption?

What do you mean by no authentication and no encryption? The encryption
is provided as you can see with the Enc=.... value. And authentication
is provided as well because Au=any applies here meaning any
authentication method available in TLS-1.3 protocol.

As it was explained before the cipher string does not apply to TLS-1.3
ciphersuites so it does not matter if you put NULL, eNULL, aNULL or
anything else as the last parameter of the ciphers command.

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb