Why does OpenSSL report google's certificate is "self-signed"?

Mark Hack markhack at markhack.com
Thu Apr 1 13:44:47 UTC 2021

RFC6066

   Note that when a list of URLs for X.509 certificates is used, the
   ordering of URLs is the same as that used in the TLS Certificate
   message (see [RFC5246], Section 7.4.2), but opposite to the order in
   which certificates are encoded in PkiPath.  In either case, the
self-signed root certificate MAY be omitted from the chain, under the
   assumption that the server must already possess it in order to
   validate it.