Porting to version 1.1.1 with old Linux kernel 3.0.8

Jan Just Keijser janjust at nikhef.nl
Tue Apr 6 07:15:33 UTC 2021

On 05/04/21 22:07, Boris Shpoungin via openssl-users wrote:
> Thank you for response.
>
> Could you suggest best approach for porting application from 1.0.2 to
> 1.1.1?
> So far I've found good manual which describes required modifications:
> https://wiki.tizen.org/Security/Tizen_5.X_Migration_from_OpenSSL_1.0.2_to_OpenSSL_1.1.1_guide
>
> The question is whether it describes ALL required modification?

I'd say you're better off asking this question on a Tizen mailing list;
the list looks pretty exhaustive but does it list everything? only one
way to find out: recompile your application using openssl 1.1.1 and see
if/where it breaks.

If you are worried about the combination of Linux 3.0.8 plus the switch
from openssl 1.0.2 -> 1.1.1 then I'd suggest a three step process
1) build openssl 1.1.1 on your old kernel and run 'make test' if that
passes, then openssl is functional ; if it does not pass these tests,
then figure out what's wrong before proceeding
2) get yourself a Linux vm with a newer kernel and with a known-to-work
openssl 1.1.1 (Fedora 33 & Ubuntu 20, CentOS 8 would work) then rebuild
and relink your application on THAT platform, recording all required changes
3) finally, rebuild your ported application on the older Linux kernel

HTH,

JJK