OpenSSL 3.0 - providing entropy to EVP_RAND ?

Bala Duvvuri b_duvvuri at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 08:36:05 UTC 2021

 Thank you for all the help, got this working.

Thanks
Bala
     On Thursday, 15 April, 2021, 04:02:10 am IST, Dr Paul Dale <pauli at openssl.org> wrote:

  Comments inline.

 Pauli

 On 15/4/21 12:09 am, Bala Duvvuri wrote:

 HI Paul,

 Thanks a lot for your response, thank you for pointing to /providers/implementations/rands/test_rng.c and the code to run NIST test.

 Still finding it a bit difficult to wrap around these new APIs

 In the old implementation using OpenSSL 1.1.1, to generate random numbers:

 a> we have set the callback for custom entropy (using RAND_DRBG_set_callbacks) for the RAND_DRBG_get0_master() DRBG instance (DRBG defaulted to CTR mode)
 b> Also we have set the personalization string using RAND_DRBG_instantiate and the reseed interval to 1 using RAND_DRBG_set_reseed_interval for both master and public/private DRBG
 c> RAND_bytes is used to avail random numbers.

 ""In summary, we want to use the CTR_DRBG implementation and provide our custom entropy/nonce from hardware""

 I am not sure if my understanding is clear, can you please let me know this basic question how to go about this in OpenSSL 3.0?

 1>Will I be able to use the built in DRBG and set a new custom provider for the built in DRBG as parent?

 Yes, exactly.  This is what I've been saying.

 2> OR, is this the approach I need to follow

 rand = EVP_RAND_fetch(NULL, "CTR-DRBG", NULL);

 Can you let me know how can I link this "rand" to new parent that I setup ?

 You can't link DRBG's to parents after creation.  This code will use the OpenSSL built in entropy source and you won't be able to change it.

 3> >> The built in DRBG's don't need the nonce, they will act as per SP800-90Ar1 section 9.1 with a nonce available from their parent.
 /providers/implementations/rands/seed_src.c is the OpenSSL seed source and it doesn't supply nonces.

 So does the built in DRBG need a nonce as above statements are contradictory?

 It can accept a nonce.  However, if one isn't provided it uses a random once grabbed from it's parent via the generate call.  The latter path is easier.

 4> Also, where is the drbg_data defined/looked up in this case for the test data vectors

 0 acvp_test.c 1341 const struct drbg_st *tst = &drbg_data[id];
 1 acvp_test.c 1468 ADD_ALL_TESTS(drbg_test, OSSL_NELEM(drbg_data));

 Try:

grep drbg_data test/*

 Thanks
 Bala