OpenSSL beta testing on Solaris and z/OS

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Aug 3 15:26:55 UTC 2021

>From another thread :
>
> The OpenSSL team has wondered how many people were trying out 3.0
> during the beta period without any way of knowing for sure.

    If your curious about the old legacy Solaris 10 on reasonably new
Fujitsu SPARC64 then I can tell you nearly everything "just works". A
few tests fail and we may as well list them :

Test Summary Report
-------------------
03-test_internal_modes.t         (Wstat: 256 Tests: 1 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  1
  Non-zero exit status: 1
61-test_bio_prefix.t             (Wstat: 512 Tests: 4 Failed: 2)
  Failed tests:  1, 3
  Non-zero exit status: 2
90-test_ige.t                    (Wstat: 256 Tests: 1 Failed: 1)
  Failed test:  1
  Non-zero exit status: 1
Files=239, Tests=2815, 7127 wallclock secs (18.23 usr  2.34 sys +
6784.88 cusr 151.77 csys = 6957.22 CPU)
Result: FAIL

A pile of tweaks were required to get to this point and mostly trivial
items such as the perl scripts and the Configuration of course. I did
go with a debug build and I adjusted the CFLAGS quite a bit. When I have
some data from z/OS then I will bring that also. At this time I really
do understand that no one within the OpenSSL dev team has access to such
machines and operating systems. Saying that they are very strict is an
understatement. However code that compiles on them and passes tests is
generally very highly portable and will run anywhere.  Embedded devices
and tight memory constraints are a separate problem.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC