OpenSSL dynamic engine loading shows error

Dmitry Belyavsky beldmit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:00:49 UTC 2021

Dear Shariful,

You can build your engine when it's feasible.
You can install it to the engine folder and get rid of dynamic_path, but
it's not necessary.

I prefer explicitly loading the engine via the config file.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 7:56 PM Shariful Alam <dipto181 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> engine_id = rsa-engine-new
> dynamic_path = /opt/openssl/lib/engines-1.1/rsa-engine-new.so
> ==================
>
> My engine load without any error. Thanks.
> One more question, Do I need to compile and install my engine with Openssl
> source code in-order for it to work with mod_ssl?
>
> Regards,
> Shariful Alam
>

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM Dmitry Belyavsky <beldmit at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As  I suspected, you have the remnants of main openssl config just after
>> your only directive in the [rsa_section]
>>
>> I'd suggest you moving the following lines
>>
>> =========
>> [openssl_def]
>> engines = engine_section
>>
>> [engine_section]
>> rsa-engine-new = rsa_section
>>
>> [rsa_section]
>> engine_id = rsa-engine-new
>> ==========
>> to the end of your openssl.cnf
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 6:20 PM Shariful Alam <dipto181 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dmitry,
>>> Thank you for your response.
>>>
>>> As you have suggested, I have changed my engine name to maintain with
>>> the configuration file
>>>
>>> /* Engine Id and Name */
>>> static const char *engine_rsa_id = "rsa-engine-new";
>>> static const char *engine_rsa_name = "Dummy RSA engine for testing";
>>>
>>> Here is my whole *openssl.cnf* file content
>>>
>>> =============================================================================================================================
>>>
>>> #
>>> # OpenSSL example configuration file.
>>> # This is mostly being used for generation of certificate requests.
>>> #
>>>
>>> # Note that you can include other files from the main configuration
>>> # file using the .include directive.
>>> #.include filename
>>>
>>> # This definition stops the following lines choking if HOME isn't
>>> # defined.
>>> HOME = .
>>>
>>> openssl_conf = openssl_def
>>>
>>> [openssl_def]
>>> engines = engine_section
>>>
>>> [engine_section]
>>> rsa-engine-new = rsa_section
>>>
>>> [rsa_section]
>>> engine_id = rsa-engine-new
>>>
>>> # Extra OBJECT IDENTIFIER info:
>>> #oid_file = $ENV::HOME/.oid
>>> oid_section = new_oids
>>>
>>> # To use this configuration file with the "-extfile" option of the
>>> # "openssl x509" utility, name here the section containing the
>>> # X.509v3 extensions to use:
>>> # extensions =
>>> # (Alternatively, use a configuration file that has only
>>> # X.509v3 extensions in its main [= default] section.)
>>>
>>> [ new_oids ]
>>>
>>> # We can add new OIDs in here for use by 'ca', 'req' and 'ts'.
>>> # Add a simple OID like this:
>>> # testoid1=1.2.3.4
>>> # Or use config file substitution like this:

>>> tsa_policy2 = 1.2.3.4.5.6
>>> tsa_policy3 = 1.2.3.4.5.7
>>>
>>> ####################################################################
>>> [ ca ]
>>> default_ca = CA_default # The default ca section
>>>
>>> ####################################################################
>>> [ CA_default ]
>>>
>>> dir = ./demoCA # Where everything is kept
>>> certs = $dir/certs # Where the issued certs are kept
>>> crl_dir = $dir/crl # Where the issued crl are kept
>>> database = $dir/index.txt # database index file.
>>> #unique_subject = no # Set to 'no' to allow creation of
>>> # several certs with same subject.
>>> new_certs_dir = $dir/newcerts # default place for new certs.
>>>
>>> certificate = $dir/cacert.pem # The CA certificate
>>> serial = $dir/serial # The current serial number
>>> crlnumber = $dir/crlnumber # the current crl number
>>> # must be commented out to leave a V1 CRL
>>> crl = $dir/crl.pem # The current CRL
>>> private_key = $dir/private/cakey.pem# The private key
>>>
>>> x509_extensions = usr_cert # The extensions to add to the cert
>>>
>>> # Comment out the following two lines for the "traditional"
>>> # (and highly broken) format.
>>> name_opt = ca_default # Subject Name options
>>> cert_opt = ca_default # Certificate field options
>>>
>>> # Extension copying option: use with caution.
>>> # copy_extensions = copy
>>>
>>> # Extensions to add to a CRL. Note: Netscape communicator chokes on V2
>>> CRLs
>>> # so this is commented out by default to leave a V1 CRL.
>>> # crlnumber must also be commented out to leave a V1 CRL.
>>> # crl_extensions = crl_ext
>>>
>>> default_days = 365 # how long to certify for
>>> default_crl_days= 30 # how long before next CRL
>>> default_md = default # use public key default MD
>>> preserve = no # keep passed DN ordering
>>>
>>> # A few difference way of specifying how similar the request should look
>>> # For type CA, the listed attributes must be the same, and the optional
>>> # and supplied fields are just that :-)
>>> policy = policy_match
>>>
>>> # For the CA policy
>>> [ policy_match ]
>>> countryName = match
>>> stateOrProvinceName = optional
>>> organizationName = optional
>>> organizationalUnitName = optional
>>> commonName = supplied
>>> emailAddress = optional
>>>
>>> # For the 'anything' policy
>>> # At this point in time, you must list all acceptable 'object'
>>> # types.
>>> [ policy_anything ]
>>> countryName = optional
>>> stateOrProvinceName = optional
>>> localityName = optional
>>> organizationName = optional
>>> organizationalUnitName = optional
>>> commonName = supplied
>>> emailAddress = optional
>>>
>>> ####################################################################
>>> [ req ]
>>> default_bits = 2048
>>> default_keyfile = privkey.pem
>>> distinguished_name = req_distinguished_name
>>> attributes = req_attributes
>>> x509_extensions = v3_ca # The extensions to add to the self signed cert
>>>
>>> # Passwords for private keys if not present they will be prompted for
>>> # input_password = secret
>>> # output_password = secret
>>>
>>> # This sets a mask for permitted string types. There are several options.
>>> # default: PrintableString, T61String, BMPString.
>>> # pkix : PrintableString, BMPString (PKIX recommendation before 2004)
>>> # utf8only: only UTF8Strings (PKIX recommendation after 2004).
>>> # nombstr : PrintableString, T61String (no BMPStrings or UTF8Strings).
>>> # MASK:XXXX a literal mask value.
>>> # WARNING: ancient versions of Netscape crash on BMPStrings or
>>> UTF8Strings.
>>> string_mask = utf8only
>>>
>>> # req_extensions = v3_req # The extensions to add to a certificate
>>> request
>>>
>>> [ req_distinguished_name ]
>>> countryName = Country Name (2 letter code)
>>> countryName_default = AU
>>> countryName_min = 2
>>> countryName_max = 2
>>>
>>> stateOrProvinceName = State or Province Name (full name)
>>> stateOrProvinceName_default = Some-State
>>>
>>> localityName = Locality Name (eg, city)
>>>
>>> 0.organizationName = Organization Name (eg, company)
>>> 0.organizationName_default = Internet Widgits Pty Ltd
>>>
>>> # we can do this but it is not needed normally :-)
>>> #1.organizationName = Second Organization Name (eg, company)
>>> #1.organizationName_default = World Wide Web Pty Ltd
>>>
>>> organizationalUnitName = Organizational Unit Name (eg, section)
>>> #organizationalUnitName_default =
>>>
>>> commonName = Common Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name)
>>> commonName_max = 64
>>>
>>> emailAddress = Email Address
>>> emailAddress_max = 64
>>>
>>> # SET-ex3 = SET extension number 3
>>>
>>> [ req_attributes ]
>>> challengePassword = A challenge password
>>> challengePassword_min = 4
> [...]
>>> # prevent it being used as an test self-signed certificate it is best
>>> # left out by default.
>>> # keyUsage = cRLSign, keyCertSign
>>>
>>> # Some might want this also
>>> # nsCertType = sslCA, emailCA
>>>
>>> # Include email address in subject alt name: another PKIX recommendation
>>> # subjectAltName=email:copy
>>> # Copy issuer details
>>> # issuerAltName=issuer:copy
>>>
>>> # DER hex encoding of an extension: beware experts only!
>>> # obj=DER:02:03
>>> # Where 'obj' is a standard or added object
>>> # You can even override a supported extension:
>>> # basicConstraints= critical, DER:30:03:01:01:FF
>>>
>>> [ crl_ext ]
>>>
>>> # CRL extensions.
>>> # Only issuerAltName and authorityKeyIdentifier make any sense in a CRL.
>>>
>>> # issuerAltName=issuer:copy
>>> authorityKeyIdentifier=keyid:always
>>>
>>> [ proxy_cert_ext ]
>>> # These extensions should be added when creating a proxy certificate
>>>
>>> # This goes against PKIX guidelines but some CAs do it and some software
>>> # requires this to avoid interpreting an end user certificate as a CA.
>>>
>>> basicConstraints=CA:FALSE
>>>
>>> # Here are some examples of the usage of nsCertType. If it is omitted
>>> # the certificate can be used for anything *except* object signing.
>>>
>>> # This is OK for an SSL server.
>>> # nsCertType = server
>>>
>>> # For an object signing certificate this would be used.
>>> # nsCertType = objsign
>>>
>>> # For normal client use this is typical
>>> # nsCertType = client, email
>>>
>>> # and for everything including object signing:
>>> # nsCertType = client, email, objsign
>>>
>>> # This is typical in keyUsage for a client certificate.
>>> # keyUsage = nonRepudiation, digitalSignature, keyEncipherment
>>>
>>> # This will be displayed in Netscape's comment listbox.
>>> nsComment = "OpenSSL Generated Certificate"
>>>
>>> # PKIX recommendations harmless if included in all certificates.
>>> subjectKeyIdentifier=hash
>>> authorityKeyIdentifier=keyid,issuer
>>>
>>> # This stuff is for subjectAltName and issuerAltname.
>>> # Import the email address.
>>> # subjectAltName=email:copy
>>> # An alternative to produce certificates that aren't
>>> # deprecated according to PKIX.
>>> # subjectAltName=email:move
>>>
>>> # Copy subject details
>>> # issuerAltName=issuer:copy
>>>
>>> #nsCaRevocationUrl = http://www.domain.dom/ca-crl.pem
>>> #nsBaseUrl
>>> #nsRevocationUrl
>>> #nsRenewalUrl
>>> #nsCaPolicyUrl
>>> #nsSslServerName
>>>
>>> # This really needs to be in place for it to be a proxy certificate.
>>> proxyCertInfo=critical,language:id-ppl-anyLanguage,pathlen:3,policy:foo

>>> [ tsa ]
>>>
>>> default_tsa = tsa_config1 # the default TSA section
>>>
>>> [ tsa_config1 ]
>>>
>>> # These are used by the TSA reply generation only.
>>> serial = $dir/tsaserial # The current serial number (mandatory)
>>> crypto_device = builtin # OpenSSL engine to use for signing

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky