RSA private key DER decode fails without CRT components

Brahmaji K brahmaji.k at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:00:29 UTC 2021

Hi Team,

I'm trying to decode the RSA private key which was DER encoded earlier
without CRT components (p, q, dmp1, dmq1 and iqmp is NULL). I'm using the
same openssl version for both encoding and decoding, encoding works fine
but decode fails. In decode, we call EVP_PKEY2PKCS8() function, this is
failing with below error:

469393408:error:0D078079:asn1 encoding routines:asn1_item_embed_d2i:field
missing:crypto/asn1/tasn_dec.c:425:Field=p, Type=RSAPrivateKey

The above error is because field p is NULL, but with same p is NULL
encoding is successful. Any idea why encode is Success but decode fails?

Thanks and Regards,
Brahmaji K