Confusion Configuring

Hal Murray halmurray+openssl at sonic.net
Fri Dec 17 21:05:18 UTC 2021

I've been happily testing/using alpha, beta, 3.0.0 and 3.0.1, but I've run
into
an interesting quirk.

My problem is that it's not finding/using the default certificates that I'd
like it to use.

I'm running on Fedora.  The installed version says:
    $openssl version
    OpenSSL 1.1.1l  FIPS 24 Aug 2021
    $openssl version -d
    OPENSSLDIR: "/etc/pki/tls
    $
So I plug that into Configure and build with:
  make clean
  ./Configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssl --openssldir=/etc/pki/tls shared
  make -j4

All seems OK.  make test is happy.

But when I run
  ./apps/openssl version -d
it says:
  OPENSSLDIR: "/usr/local/ssl"
I was expecting /etc/pki/tls from the Configure line above.

What am I missing?  How do I tell it where to find the default certificates?

grep etc/pki/tls Makefile finds:
OPTIONS=--prefix=/usr/local/ssl --openssldir=/etc/pki/tls/ enable-shared (and
a lot more)
CONFIGURE_ARGS=("--prefix=/usr/local/ssl", "--openssldir=/etc/pki/tls/",
"shared")
OPENSSLDIR=/etc/pki/tls/

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.