PKCS#10 CSR generation and bulky crypto library - Re: Questions about legacy apps/req.c code

David von Oheimb dev at ddvo.net
Wed Dec 22 19:45:18 UTC 2021

@Philip,

it should not be hard to copy the core code from apps/req.c and cut out
all parts not needed for generating a PKCS#10 CSR (including its
self-signature).
Yet beware that a general-purpose library function that has (at least)
the flexibility offered by that app would need a non-trivial set of
parameters.

I do not like to separate the code sections that handle the alternative
case of generating a self-signed cert
because there are strong similarities with generating a PKCS#10 CSR, so
a split would introduce quite some redundancy.
(The code would deserve some further cleanup, but this is a general
issue that holds for many, if not all, those apps.)

@Kyle,

your comments regarding the (self-)signature key to be used for CSR
signing vs. cert signing are not really to the point being asked.

Also your comments on OpenSSL library code size are a side topic here,
though I fully agree that it would be great if
the crypto lib was relieved from much bulk (to which various people
including myself have added quite a bit recently)
that would much better fit in higher-level library. I suggested
<https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/4992> this 4 years back, but so
far the project members have not
found time for this. Later I re-phrased the issue later as a major FR:
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/13440
<https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/13440>

Regards,

     David