openssl fips patch for RSA Key Gen (186-4)

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Jan 5 17:11:58 UTC 2021

And such a patched module would no longer be FIPS 140 validated.

I know of at least one commercial, proprietary fork of the OpenSSL FOM 2.0 with 186-4 support. It has its own validations, obtained by the vendor. It's part of a commercial software package and not available for use by other software.

If memory serves, SUSE also implemented 186-4 when they ported the FOM 2.0 to OpenSSL 1.1.1. SUSE open-sourced their changes - you can find the diffs on one of the SUSE sites - but again, they had to get a new validation. It applies only to their module when used on SLES. (Red Hat similarly did their own ports and got their own validations for RHEL. I don't know whether they published their changes.)

So it's possible, but as usual with FIPS 140, you have the time and expense of validation. That's even more complicated now than it has been in past years, thanks in part to the transition from FIPS 140-2 to 140-3. I've heard from people with contacts in the CMVP that "the queue is full" for the year, and anyone not already in line will be waiting even longer than usual for a validation.

--
Michael Wojcik