Offloading EC_POINT_mul via engine

GODFREY Mark mark.godfrey at thalesgroup.com
Mon Jan 11 19:09:42 UTC 2021

I have successfully been able to offload specific ECC functionality via my own engine.  For example, I have been able to offload sign, verify and compute_key methods. My latest task is now to offload, specifically, ECC point multiplication.  I am having a hard go at this. Really looking for guidance as to how to accomplish this.  I originally started by trying to create my own EC_METHOD that has a function pointer to my own point multiplication function, but that does not compile as EC_METHOD is now not accessible (in OpenSSL 1.1.1).  What I am looking to do is every time EC_POINT_mul is called to call my homegrown function.  Is this even possible?  Any guidance or reading materials would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.