Fwd: channel binding

Benjamin Kaduk bkaduk at akamai.com
Mon Jan 11 22:38:53 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:31:01PM +0000, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> On 11/01/2021 22:07, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> > > Looking at the implementation, SSL_export_keying_material() only
> > > functions for TLS 1.3 .  This is not documented.  Is this a bug?
> > Are you looking at SSL_export_keying_material() or SSL_export_keying_material_early()?
>
> Doh.  I was looking at the wrong routine; thanks.
> But, per below, now moot.
>
> > If you need to interwork with other implementations/an existing protocol,
> > you have to stick with the Finished-based channel bindings; the exporter
> > interface is a new protocol mechanism and the whole protocol/ecosystem has
> > to be expecting to use it.
>
> Right. So we have implementations out there using it; will the OpenSSL
> project consider promoting it to supported status so that it doesn't
> disappear in some future release?

I think you should treat them as if they are supported interfaces.
They're present in the list of "things that aren't documented but should be",
and do have some documentation-ish commentary in the public header file.

Any API change or removal would be against our support policy (and patches
to add man pages for them would also be welcome).

> > With TLS 1.2 and extended master secret this is not known to be broken (and
> > yes, that is a very carefully phrased statement).
>
> Understood :)   Like all crypto...

Yes ... though some we are more confident in than others :)

-Ben