Parsing and generating CBOR certificates?

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Thu Jan 21 21:31:21 UTC 2021

> I'd welcome support for CBOR(-encoded) certificates since they can save a lot of space
> for both the data itself and the code handling it, which may be vital for IoT scenarios, for instance.
> It looks like the standardization of their definition got pretty far already.

Exactly! And there’s been a bunch of publications, describing/defining CBOR encoding for IoT certificates, such as
http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1153958/FULLTEXT01.pdf

> Although it is certainly possible to convert between DER-encoded ASN.1 (or at least its subset needed for X.509 certs) and CBOR,
> this is not strictly needed since there is a definition of natively signed CBOR certs.
> Thus all the ASN.1 fuzz, which is bulky and error-prone to implement and use, can be avoided then.

Yes. My primary goal is to reduce the overhead on the wire – but simplifying the processing code would be welcome as well.

> It may be also worth noting in this context that due to it sheer size the OpenSSL code itself is not suited for constrained systems.
> Yet even then it would make sense if OpenSSL supported CBOR certs because they could be used by TLS peers on constrained systems.

Yes.

> Moreover, when using only natively signed CBOR certs it should be possible
> (though likely hard to achieve with the current strongly ASN.1 entangled libcrypto code)
> to build OpenSSL without any ASN.1 support, which should reduce code size drastically.

Something I don't urgently need, but would welcome regardless.

> I suggest opening a feature request at https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues

Done: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/13925

Thanks!