[EXTERNAL] Re: GNU Make erroring on makefile

Joe Carroll joe.carroll.hrg2 at statefarm.com
Thu Jul 1 14:55:05 UTC 2021

Thanks Matt.  That clears it up.

-----Original Message-----
From: openssl-users [mailto:openssl-users-bounces at openssl.org] On Behalf Of Matt Caswell
Sent: Thursday, July 1, 2021 9:40 AM
To: openssl-users at openssl.org
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: GNU Make erroring on makefile

On 01/07/2021 15:06, Joe Carroll wrote:
> Windows 10
> perl Configure VC-WIN64A

The VC-WIN64A target generates a Makefile suitable for consumption by
nmake. Hence its not possible to use GNU make with it.

It *is* possible to build for Windows using GNU make with a different
target however.

To do this you must first install MSYS2 with the mingw compiler packages
and associated toolchain, as well as the MSYS2 version of perl (*not*
other versions of perl).

Then you can configure and build as normal:

perl Configure mingw64
make
make test
make install

See the section "mingw and mingw64" in NOTES.WIN.

Matt