FW: X509_verify_cert() rejects all trusted certs with "default" X509_VERIFY_PARAM

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Jun 1 17:32:22 UTC 2021

Makes sense. It would be nice if this were standardized as an update to RFC 5280.

> The OpenSSL 3 code discussed, as described by Graham, appears
> to incorrectly apply the wildcard check without ORing it with
> the normal check for inclusion of the usage for which the chain
> is built and validated.  (I recommend that where such filtering
> is done, it is part of chain building as different chains may
> succeed for different usages).

Yeah, I suspected that, but I wanted to see if other people more familiar with this area of the code were going to comment.

> The CAB/F "guidelines" tend to include arbitrary restrictions above and
> beyond what good X.509 software libraries should do, such as limiting
> validity to 1 year, requiring end certificate holders to be magically
> able to respond to sudden revocations for bureaucratic reasons etc.  Or
> as quoted by Michael, a rule that all roots must be universal roots with
> the no-EKU implicit wildcard.

Agreed. I refer our customers to the CA/BF Basic Requirements when they're dealing with browsers and mainstream web servers -- since those programs are often written to follow the CA/BF rules -- but try to make it clear that the CA/BF doesn't control PKIX.

--
Michael Wojcik