[OffTopic] PAM

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Jun 17 23:52:09 UTC 2021

Yes, off-topic, sorry.

Tomas Mraz wrote in
 <11264f92f87def629df40cf0b7f7b0cc8f43fbe4.camel at openssl.org>:
 |On Thu, 2021-06-17 at 17:12 +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>
 |> P.P.S.: Tomáš Mráz: aren't you part of PAM project too?  Off-topic
 |> here, but i had written a somewhat primitive yet i think nicely
 |> working
 |
 |Yes. I am.
 |
 |>   pam_xdg.so is a PAM module that manages creation of the
 |>   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR directory, as well as injection of environment
 |>   variables denoting all directories specified by the XDG Base
 |>   Directory Specification:
 |>
 |> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-
 |>          latest.html
 |>   into user sessions.
 |>
 |> yet the mailing-list is hosted by RedHat, and somehow i could not
 |> subscribe to _that_ screen, maybe script related, i do not know.
 |> Just in case of interest [1-3].  ISC license, but you could have
 |> it Public Domain if you want.
 |
 |The PAM developer discussion is on:
 |pam-developers at lists.fedorahosted.org

Ah, i was trying pam-list at redhat.com without success.  I even
tried to contact the administrators, but nothing as silence.  ..So
i was waiting until some day i see one of the names mentioned.

 |If you could submit the module as PR on the GitHub Linux PAM project
 |[0], it would be considered.
 |
 |I know, that would require getting a GitHub account.
 |
 |[0] https://github.com/linux-pam/linux-pam

Yes, ach, no.  It is just a trivial thing, and not even needed on
the omnipresent systemd Linux; i was just writing it because
someone here on (systemd-free) CRUX Linux was carrying along some
PAM-module daemon written in a language noone has the interpreter
for by default, that did nothing but managing a session counter
... rundird it was, written in zig.  (It fooled me to believe that
PAM could gracefully handle sessions, i did not think about it
myself; until a "daemonized" / reparented to init shell script was
living in a directory that should have been gone, and then
i rewrote the module to the minimum implementation that it is.)

 |No matter how far down the wrong road you've gone, turn back.
 |                                          Turkish proverb
 |[You'll know whether the road is wrong if you carefully listen to your
 |conscience.]

Ah! and oh! on my evil subconsciousness.

Good night.

(And sorry again for bringing this off-topic thing here.)

--steffen