OpenSSL version 3.0.0-beta1 published

Dr Paul Dale pauli at openssl.org
Sat Jun 19 00:25:45 UTC 2021

> However, I was wondering if anyone has ported/refactored the pkcs11
> engine stuff for OpenSSL 3.0 already?  is this on the TODO list for
> the OpenSC/pkcs11 team?  If I wanted to try to refactor the
> opensc-pkcs11 module, how would I start?

PKCS #11 support is one (of many) possible items that will be considered
for future versions of OpenSSL.  The technical and management committees
will be discussing which items are going to be worked on for the
subsequent release in the not too distant future.

I'll also note that PKCS #11 considerations were prominent through the
3.0 design process.  A PKCS #11 provider is expected to be possible with
minimal (hopefully no) changes to the provider / libcrypto interface.

Pauli