How to query current settings/policies?

Thomas Deutschmann whissi at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 22 12:12:28 UTC 2021

Hi,

with OpenSSL 3 defaulting to TLS security level 1, applications trying
to make a TLSv1/1.1 connection will fail.

I wonder if there is a proper way to detect current security level.

I.e. how about test suites which need to know if they have to skip a
test or not?

For example, I am currently looking at MySQL which has a test to ensure,
that you are still able to connect to TLS 1.3 enabled server with
TLSv1/1.1:
https://github.com/mysql/mysql-server/blob/mysql-8.0.25/mysql-test/suite/auth_sec/t/tls13_tls1.test

The test already knows about the fact that system could have restricted
minimum TLS version, see
https://github.com/mysql/mysql-server/blob/mysql-8.0.25/mysql-test/include/not_min_protocol_tlsv12.inc

However, this solution isn't stable: It's just parsing some files from
hard coded paths (what about OPENSSL_CONF environment variable?) and
guesses.

Furthermore it knows nothing about Gentoo Linux for example. But even
with Ubuntu, you could have a policy in place which overrides set
OPENSSL_TLS_SECURITY_LEVEL=2 from configure.

Is there a way to use openssl CLI to query this information and allow
test suites for example to skip tests on a more reliable way? Or what's
the recommended way for tests?

--
Regards,
Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer