回复: Question: How to using cert files on Android platform?

Yang Rong sanjurohayami at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:57:10 UTC 2021

Hello Viktor,

Thanks for your reply. The reason that I am trying to use the OpenSSL instead of using a library like Volley on Android is:  The original environment of the project is in a private network. Our network provider shells all threats for us. So our app is installed on devices that are only required unsecured connections between devices and servers. Now we need some features from the original firmware for a new android app. The app users are going to use the internet. So the secured connections are required. If we can use OpenSSL to handle handshake and certificate verification the same code can be reused on firmware and potentially allowing our devices to use the internet in the future.

> Almost certainly, but your question is rather oddly phrased and notcompletely clear.  PEM files don't establish connections.
Instead of using all certs in the trust store, I was trying to use as few cert files as possible. And you are right PEM files do not establish connections. I need cert file to verify the server's certs before establishing connections.

Currently, I know the URL of our web service. I created a client then I tried to copy some certs from the Ubuntu trust store. Found the cert `09789157.0` is able to verify our test servers' certs. Then, I copied the text from the file 09789157.0, hard-coded the content of the file in the code, created an X509 object based on the text, and using `X509_STORE_add_cert` to add the cert to a store in a SSL_CTX.  It works on Android. But I am thinking I might just do what you mentioned:
"If you just extract the certificates, without the
associated trust settings, you may well end up undermining some of the
expected security properties, because some restricted use certificates
may then lose their associated restrictions."

So, my question is what should I do to find out the "associated trust settings" and include those settings?

Thanks for your help

r0nG

Auckland, New Zealand