OpenSSL 3.0.0 APIs for creating an EVP_PKEY from a p256 private key octet string

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 8 02:23:36 UTC 2021

Hiya,

My question: how does one setup an EVP_PKEY for a NIST
curve (e.g. p256) key pair when one has the private key
in an octet string using the latest OpenSSL 3.0.0 high
level APIs?

I'm trying to get rid of deprecation warnings from my
code for HPKE [1] when dealing with NIST curves using
the new (I guess?) OSSL_PARAM_* approach. I'm failing
at the moment;-)

So, given an octet string from a set of test vectors
(e.g. [2]) what's the proper way to setup an EVP_PKEY
for that to allow one to validate the test vectors?

Happy to try produce a stand-alone example for this
in the next few days if one doesn't exist (I've not
found one so far).

Thanks,
Stephen.

[1]